HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA PROGRAM
The minimum requirements for a San Mateo Adult & Career Education High School diploma, as identified by the San Mateo Union High School District, are as follows:
- Credits earned in a foreign country
- Work achievement or military service
- Pre-approved job training classes
- Pre-approved work achievement
Frequently Asked Questions About The High School Diploma Program
We are located at 789 E. Poplar Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94401. Parking is available on our campus near our SMART Center.
Most employers will accept either, but some employers look more favorably on a high school diploma, as it shows them time and effort have been committed to attend and complete classes. Many students are closer to their High School Diploma than they think. Our trained Counselor can assist you with deciding on which option is best for you at orientation. You may also change your goal once enrolled in our program.
- The High School Diploma Program is self-paced and individualized.
- For the diploma, it depends on the number of credits you need, how often you attend class, meeting grade standards, and how quickly you turn in your work.
- Students are encouraged to develop, with the assistance of staff, a timeline based on their weekly schedule to complete required course(s) in an efficient and timely manner.
You must first request a transcript from your prior high school. Next call 650-558-2116 to make an appointment with our counselor. Our orientation schedule allows students to start throughout the school year.
GED PREPARATION PROGRAM
The San Mateo Adult & Career Education is an official GED TEST SITE. VISIT WWW.GEDTESTINGSERVICE.COM TO REGISTER FOR THE OFFICIAL GED TEST(S).
SAN MATEO OFFICIAL GED TEST DATES:
5:30 PM – 8:45 PM
BEGINNING SEPT 18 – DEC 31
(NON-TEST DAYS: NOV 27, DEC 18,25)
- The earliest you can take a GED test is 60 days before your 18th birthday
- Tests can be given only in the state where you legally reside
- Government-issued photo identification must be presented as part of the test admission process. If your government ID is not a California one, you must present proof of California residence.
- Registration for each test must be completed at least 24 hours before each test. Registration can be completed online at: GED.com
- The cost is $35 per exam or $140 for all four
|Reasoning through language arts||155 min.|
|Mathematical Reasoning||120 min.|
|Social Studies||75 min.|
Orientation Sessions are Mornings or Evenings. Students should plan to attend the session that corresponds to the time he/she is planning to attend classes.
High School Diploma Classes are Open Entry while GED orientations sessions occur at specific intervals.
All students must plan to attend an orientation session (up to 3 hours) where they will:
- Submit a copy of their high school transcript
- Complete the required paperwork
- Take placement tests
- Schedule a counseling appointment
AM Sessions (9 am – 12 pm)
Tue ,Dec. 3, Jan 7, Jan 14th
PM Sessions (6 pm – 9 pm)
Wed Dec 4, Jan 8, Jan 15
Contact Program Coordinator Lori Parris for more information.