As a Dispensing Optician you are a healthcare professional who provides the final critical step in improving your client’s vision, enabling them to see the world clearly. You are also a facial designer, working with client prescriptions to determine the best way to fill them by:
- Getting to know your clients and their individual fashion sense based on their lifestyle needs, occupation, and hobbies
- Helping your clients to select the best frame, lens design and materials from the latest frame fashions
- Ensuring your clients see clearly and that their eyewear is comfortable and properly fitted for the shape of their face.
Salary information (as of May 2019): $46,620 Annual Mean Wage in California
(U.S.. Bureau of Labor Statistics)
Projected 10 year growth of 24%.
Sign up now to hold your spot for this exciting training, scheduled to start Monday, August 24, 2020!
Where will you work? In retail business settings, medical offices, optical laboratories, or outside sales for frame and lens manufacturers.
This hybrid, 2-semester program includes 180 hours of online and classroom (lab) instruction and a 60-hour internship which will prepare you to take the American Board of Opticianry (ABO) national certification exam.***
Course of study includes optical theory, eye physiology, lens technology, ophthalmic dispensing, lab sessions, field trips, and much more!****
A High School Diploma (or Equivalency) and access to a computer with internet is required to register and participate in this training.
***For more information about the certification exam visit https://www.abo-ncle.org/.
****Tuition includes lab supplies, scrubs, internship, field trips, certificate of completion and the ABO certification exam fee.
This hybrid, 2-semester Training Program includes:
- 180 hours of online and classroom (lab) training
- 60 hour intern-/externship that may lead to hire
- Vision health and eyewear training
- Lab sessions and field trips
- Customer service and workplace communications training and much more!
About the Instructor
Lynnette Garcia is an American Board Certified Optician with over 25 years of experience in the Optical (eye care) field. She has managed and worked in optical boutiques, private practices, and retail corporate settings such as Oakley Sport Performance where she contributed as a consultant and lead optician aiding in the development of a program to disrupt the eyewear industry.
Lynnette also brings to the classroom her training as a Health and Leadership Coach and outstanding interpersonal skills which have given her the ability to work with individuals, executives, doctors and staff at all levels over the course of her career.
Contact Career Education Coordinator Stephanie Kriebel for more information.