There are many things that I like about San Mateo Adult School (SMAS). Students are placed in the right class for them according to their results of the placement test. Students can join different clubs and engage in social activities. There is an option for everybody. But what I absolutely love about SMAS is the diversity, not only from the students, but also the teachers and the administrative personnel at the SMART Center who provide excellent service and help and encourage students with all types of backgrounds.
Get to know your peers and make a difference in your community!
Join A Student Club
Make New Friends, and Develop Leadership Skills
Become A Student Ambassador
The Student Ambassador Program is a volunteer opportunity for students who are dedicated to serving and representing San Mateo Adult & Career Education.
- Welcome and greet incoming new students.
- Conduct campus tours for new students.
- Work with diverse populations and provide tips on being a successful student.
- Assist with variety of administrative tasks.
- Take photos for student Identification cards.
- Learn and use office and workforce readiness skills.
Student Council is Democracy in Action
Student Council gives students a voice at school, in the community, and in the state.
- Morning and evening Student Councils.
- Officers are elected in the Fall for a one-year term.
- English Secondary Language and GED classes choose two Class Representatives.
- Student Councils meet once a month.
- At meetings, discussion and voting about decisions.
- Minutes are taken at the meetings.
- Class Reps report back to their classes
There are many resources to help you learn efficiently. Speak with your teacher about the best resources for your class subjects or view our online resources.
San Mateo Adult & Career Education loves hearing from Alumni – former students. Your successes tells us we are doing a good job. Your feedback about your time at San Mateo Adult School shows us where we can improve. Your wisdom helps current and future students.
Sometimes former students return to our school for events, to talk to current students or to speak on Success Panels. We really appreciate their visits and their willingness to share what they know and have learned. Alumni light a way forward for others.